Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Client screening

We do intakes to screen clients/find out background information. Today I had to explain to a woman that we couldn't allow her into the program because she had been arrested for spousal abuse. I had to explain that unless she had court documentation stating that the charges were dropped or dismissed there was nothing we could do.

She explained that she was afraid, and had grabbed a bar from a set of weights to hit her abuser before he hit her. And that when the police came out they arrested her because he was the one that was injured. I told her I understood, and that I believed her, but we had a policy. I advised her to contact the courts, and that we would gladly accept her into the program if she got the proper documentation.

She understood, and went to the courthouse right away. They didn't have any paperwork. The most the clerk could do was explain that her case was rejected by the D.A. That was enough for us. She's coming back tomorrow to finish her intake.

Today a little bit of my faith in the justice system was restored. Today things worked out. Today was a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment